Τετάρτη, 13 Ιουνίου 2018

The Greek traders in Sudan of 1896

The Greek traders in Sudan of 1896


(Excerpt from the book ‘The Greek community of Sudan’)


In 1896, the army of Kitchener departed from Egypt and moved southwards. It was followed by some Greeks who provided the army with food and water. At that time, Wadi Halfa, on the border between Egypt and Sudan, was the end of the railway line that started from Cairo. Since the British wanted to construct a railway up to Khartoum, a distance of 910 km in the middle of the desert, a dozen of Greeks signed a contract with the British Army. Their responsibility was to provide the railway workers with water and food.