(Excerpt from the book 'The Greek community of Sudan 19th-21st')
In the late 19th century, the Greek community of Khartoum and
Omdurman was consisted of those who had settled in the region and survived after the fall of Khartoum and those who accompanied the army of Kitchener as food suppliers.
In 1898, for the first time, the Greeks acted as a community. They sent a letter to the British commander congratulating him on his success. A few months later, in 1899, the Greeks offered money for the construction of a grandstand during the visit of the Duke of Connaught.